So finally I think I'm emotionally ready to talk about what has happened the last two weeks. First off Bentley Jean and Calvin Elroy made their big debut! But first I need to explain how that came to be since they we're a little early....
It's Wednesday, February 20th, I was heading to the doctor for my routine weekly appointment. I had been to triage over the previous weekend and was dilated to a 3 and contracting at every 2-3 minutes but wasn't considered in active labor due to the fact that I would contract for hours but then it would just stop. Not to mention the fact that Wednesday when I went in, I felt awful- more then I usually did- and was starting to swell in my feet, legs, and face. Which can be a sign of Preeclampsia. I had an ultrasound first and everything looked great, both babies were active and just happy as could be. When I had my blood pressure taken it was 144/88.... not so great. And I had protein in my urine. So its starting to look like I am starting to get preeclampsia. When they checked me I was at a 4. I was immedietely sent to the hospital. I get checked into triage, get poked and have everything tested. They keep me for 24 hours to do urine test to see what kind of protein it is and I had my blood pressure taken every hour. So at this point its Thursday, February 21rst, and its going on about 6 pm when my doctor comes in and asked when I last ate, about an hour ago, and says ok then we are It took a total of 20 minutes for the C section to be started and finished. and I was rolled back to my room. I was on magnesium and you have to be on it for 24 hours so I wasn't allowed to go see my children for the first 24 hours of their life....
Bentley has respiratory distress syndrome which means because her lungs we're premature that they didn't produce enough surfactant, that causes her to work twice as hard just to breathe. She also has a murmur. Now this I cannot for the life of me remember what its called. But Its a part of her heart that should have 3 leafs and only has 2- doesn't make sense I know but it just means that we will be following up with a cardiologist for quite a while. So the last two weeks for Bentley have been crazy but good. She has gone from having a tube down her throat to breathe and a tube down her nose to eat, to as of today, Having NONE of it! She is breathing room air and downing bottles like its going out of style!! And if she keeps this up, she may be coming home as soon as Monday!!
Now lets talk about Calvin. He was born with a recessive chin, and what that means is his jaw did not grow to the full extent, which caused his tongue to be pushed up and into the back of his mouth that prevented the roof of his mouth growing together and causing his cleft pallet. So that means he will need surgery to fix his cleft and if his jaw doesn't grow on its own he will need surgery for that. but that won't happen at least until he is anywhere form 9-15 months old. Calvin has a murmur too, but its more along the lines of heart disease, its a pulminary thing. Sorry but my brain is over loaded from medical talk so I really don't have the brain to explain in any other way than this. Calvin too has the respiratory distress. But this little boy has defied every bad thing that has happened. He is on high flow oxygen and only at 30% (room air is 21%) And he is even trying to bottle feed but because his tongue is pushed back its hard for him to get the pressure to suck on the bottle.
So when Bentley gets discharged, Calvin will be transferred to Phoenix Children's Hospital where we will be able to meet with his plastic surgeon and his whole team of doctors to begin making the game plan of what we need to do for him so he can come home and then the game plan for his surgeries and when we will begin going to his cleft pallet clinic.
So for all the trials we have, We couldn't be more grateful that it isn't any worse and what we have to deal with is fixable and our children are amazingly strong and beautiful!!
NOW I am not blogging about this for people to feel sorry and be pathetic towards us. I Have NOT put a lot of this on facebook because I don't want the drama of stupid facebook. So I did this to have the record of my own thoughts and can remember what we have been through to remind to be grateful for all the everyday little things.
You are so strong! Your babies have the best mommy ever. I'm going to hope to be half the mommy you are!! I'm so happy everything is good and that they are doing so well!! <3!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove you! What an amazing mama you are.
ReplyDelete